Human Resources

Eligibility to Work in the UK

All staff are required to provide evidence to demonstrate their right to work in the UK prior to commencing employment at Birkbeck.

In order to verify your eligibility to work in the UK you will be required to produce a document/s from a list of acceptable documents (as per UVKI guidelines), which  which demonstrate you are either a national from a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, or are a Non-EEA national who has acquired the right to work in the UK.

EEA & Swiss Nationals

Nationals from all EEA countries, and Switzerland, will be required to produce a document showing their nationality.  This will usually be either a national passport or national identity card.  Some nationals from EEA countries may also produce a residence permit issued by the Home Office which confirms their right to reside and work here.  You will need to produce one original document from List A.

EU/EEA nationals (and their eligible family members) who wish to continue living and working in the UK after the end of the implementation period (31 December 2020), must apply for status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) no later than 30 June 2021.

New/prospective staff who have entered the UK in 2021 may need a visa or sponsorship (similar to non-EEA staff). Please liaise with HR accordingly so we can provide support. Please note, individuals with settled or pre-settled status under the EUSS do not need to be sponsored.

EU/EEA staff can continue to evidence their right to work by providing their EU/EEA passport/residence card until 30 June 2021 (or if they wish to, by providing their share code).

Non-EEA Nationals

Nationals from non-EEA countries will be required to produce a document which demonstrates they have acquired the right to work in the UK.  You will need to produce original document/s from List A (to evidence indefinite leave) or document/s from List B (to evidence time limited leave).

In addition to checking documents before you start employment, we will also need to carry out a follow-up check if the evidence provided is time limited. This is to ensure that you remain eligible to continue working in the UK and is a UK Visa and Immigration requirement.

Individuals who have a biometric residence permit, a biometric residence card or have status issued under the EU settlement scheme can also evidence their right to work by providing their share code.

back to top
The HR team is based on the first floor of Egmont House
Postal address: Human Resources, Birkbeck, University of London, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX